Hutton to challenge Fitzgerald for Kansas Senate
TOPEKA – Bill Hutton, of Basehor, filed today for District 5 of the Kansas Senate, which includes parts of Leavenworth and Wyandotte Counties. The seat is currently held by Republican Sen. Steve Fitzgerald.
“From traveling around the district and talking with voters, I know they do not approve of what is going on in Topeka,” said Hutton. “The people of the 5th district deserve to have a Senator who shares their values, not someone who is lock step with Governor Brownback.”
Hutton, a lifelong Kansan, is a local attorney, businessman, and municipal court judge in Bonner Springs. He believes in local control, a quality education for all Kansas children, and sustainable tax policies that move the state forward.
“Time and time again I have seen this administration trample on local control, attack teachers, and cut school budgets for the sake of irresponsible economic policies,” said Hutton. “All of this has absolutely got to stop.”
As a graduate of Washington High School, Kansas City Kansas Community College, and the University of Kansas, Hutton understands that strong public education institutions are the heart of the state of Kansas.
“The Legislature should be doing everything in its power to support our schools and its teachers,” said Hutton.
Hutton is an active member of the Wyandotte and Leavenworth County Bar Associations and the Greater Kansas City YMCA Executive Board. He also currently serves as treasurer of the Wyandotte County Parks Foundation Board, Chairman of Downtown Shareholders, and as a board member of the Wyandotte County Historical Society.
Hutton and his wife, Lisa Lugar, live on their family farm. Lisa has been a teacher in the Bonner Springs School District for more than sixteen years, and owns a catering business.
Volunteer for Bill
- Kansas City, Kansas Housing Authority, Board Member 1979-1984
- Kansas City, Kansas Board of Zoning Appeals Member, 1983-1996 (served as Board Chair)
- YMCA of Greater Kansas City, member of Executive Committee and Board Member, 1999 to present, Board Secretary, 2004-2006, Chairman of the Board, 2006-2008
- Kansas City, Kansas Friends of the Library Board member, 2003-2007
- CHWC (formerly Catholic Housing of Wyandotte County), Board Member, 2000-2005, Chairman of Board 2002-2004
- Providence Saint John Hospital Foundation, Board member 2004-2010
- Union Station Volunteer and Committee Member, Holiday Train Display, 2007 to present
- Member of KCMSBL 1993 to present. (Kansas City Men’s Senior Baseball League.)
- Chairman BPU Ethics Board 2009-2011.
- Member of Wyandotte County Parks Foundation Board, 2011 to present and Treasurer, 2014 to present.
- Board Member of Downtown Shareholders, 2012 to present, Vice Chairman of Downtown Shareholders, 2013, Chairman, 2014-2016.
- Board Member Wyandotte County Historical Society, 2013 to present.
- Member, National Association of Licensing and Compliance Professionals, 2016.
- CYO Coach Girls Basketball, most recently 2013-214, Resurrection Parish.
- Washington High School, Kansas City, Kansas 1972
- Kansas City Kansas Community College, 1973
- University of Kansas, 1975
- University of Kansas School of Law, 1979
- Wyandotte County Bar Association, Member, 1979 to present, Secretary of Bar Association, 2003-2004.
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association, 1979 to 2015.
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, 1985 to 2015.
- Kansas Municipal Court Judge’s Association, 1996-1999, 2002 to present.
- Kansas Guardianship Program Volunteer, 2014 to present.
- KU Alumni Association, Life Membership
- William W. Hutton, Attorney at Law, 509 Armstrong Avenue, Kansas City, Kansas, sole practitioner 1985 to present, primary representation: probate, workers’ compensation, and small representation including liquor license issues.
- Municipal Court Judge, City of Bonner Springs, Kansas, 2003 to present.
- Director, Interstate Federal Savings and Loan, 2006 to present, Board Chair, 2014 through present.
- Precinct Committeeman, Ward 9-16, 2012 through present.